Subject: Re: Moving from AMD x86 to AMD64?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/16/2005 17:08:47
--fTrra2YUagINO7SV

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:24:34AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> On Nov 16, 10:05am, luca.sironi@gmail.com (Luca Sironi) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: Moving from AMD x86 to AMD64?
[...]
> | Is compat_linux for amd64 a new, relevant, feature ?
> | 2) as Space Case was asking is it possible to run the normal i386 port
> | on and amd64 ?
>=20
> Yes. It will run everything except programs that have SA on, until that
> is fixed.

As long as they are NetBSD/i386 binaries.  But that's when using an
amd64, you can also just run an i386 kernel.

> | It will be useful in case of jdk, flash, openoffice and so on..
> | There are plenty of packages that ask for netbsd-386 ..
>=20
> Indeed.

The Macromedia Flash plug-in is an i386 Linux binary.  It would require
a COMPAT_LINUX32 subsystem to work on an amd64 kernel, and we don't
have that either.

Just precising a few points.

--=20

--fTrra2YUagINO7SV