Subject: Re: updated NetBSD hardware lists
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/14/2005 09:20:45
On 11/12/05, Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com> wrote:

> Are there any online lists of modern, shipping hardware that works with
> NetBSD i386/amd64?
>
> For instance, http://www.netbsd.org/Hardware/pci.html, seems to be mostly
> ancient hardware that isn't sold anymore.
>
> I'm thinking of buying an amd64 box, but I don't get a sense of exactly
> which video and network cards might be useful. It seems from the mailing
> list archives that often the built in networking isn't supported by NetBS=
D.

Depends on which release you're looking for.

The onboard network adapter on my ASUS A8V is supported by the sk
driver as of 3.0_BETA.

I agree the supported hardware list is out of date, but it's also
almost too difficult to maintain unless all the device driver authors
make a list of what hardware is supported by that driver. Then it
becomes even more complicated when you need to match chipsets to
actual retail device models, which can change even with the same model
number (Linksys version numbers come to mind).

It's frustrating to me too, because I'd really like to know if there
is an 802.11g USB adapter that works, and I so far don't think there
is a solid answer for that. But I haven't looked in a few weeks now.

Andy