Subject: Re: Strange 30-second pause with atabus1 on APM resume under NetBSD 3.0_BETA
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/10/2005 17:35:28
In message <20051110194704.GA1069@slab.bsd.home>, Brian de Alwis writes:
>One unwelcome change noticed since upgrading to 3.0_BETA on my
>laptop is a 30-second pause when resuming from suspend.  This didn't
>happen previously under 2.x.
>
>Following is an extract from my /var/log/messages with ATADEBUG
>and atadebug_mask=0xFFFF upon resuming.  You can see the 30-second
>wait for atabus1 -- but I don't have anything on atabus1!  I'm not
>sure why atabus0 and atabus1 have different things happening either.
>(Note: I stuck the "resuming done" printfs to see completion.)

Interesting -- I've noticed that it sometimes happens to me, but not
always.  I hadn't isolated it to atabus.  However, I just rebooted my
machine with the CD drive in and did not see the problem, and was just
starting to wonder.

It's possible that I'm indirectly responsible for the problem, though...
See kern/25659.  I did *not* commit the code, but I don't know if
someone else did.  One reason I didn't is that someone -- Charles
Hannum, I believe -- correctly objected that it could result in a
30-second delay at certain times.  OTOH, the fix that Manuel committed
has a much shorter wait time, so maybe it's not the same problem.  That
said, you may want to try changing WDC_PROBE_WAIT to something lower
in sys/dev/ic/wdc.c and see what it does.