Subject: Re: newfs trouble
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Roy Bixler <rcbixler@nyx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/06/2005 17:52:51
On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 10:41:50PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 12:40:10PM -0700, Roy Bixler wrote:
> > I figured there must be some pretty extensive corruption on the
> > filesystem, so I backed up the other directories there and then did a
> > "newfs" command on it.  That also failed.  It would get to a certain
> > point and then give a message like
> >
> > wtfs: write error: Undefined error: 0
>
> Did the kernel print some error message in dmesg or /var/log/messages ?

I just tried again and found that there are no "dmesg" messages when
doing a failed "newfs" command.  To further rule out hardware
problems, I did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd0b bs=8k" under NetBSD and
"e2fsck -cc /dev/sda2" under Linux.  Both were successful.

--
Roy Bixler <rcbixler@nyx.net>
"The fundamental principle of science, the definition almost, is this: the