Subject: Re: lpd and dhcpd = problems
To: Peter Bex <Peter.Bex@student.ru.nl>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/03/2005 20:28:20
In message <20051103225851.GD7571@frohike.nvie.com>, Peter Bex writes:

>--Uwl7UQhJk99r8jnw
>
>On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:47:29PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> The short answer is "brain damage"; lpr want to check hostnames against
>> /etc/hosts.lpd.
>
>Why is this necessary?  Isn't it possible to have just IP addresses in
>hosts.lpd?  Or IP ranges and "partial" IP addresses like '192.168.', as
>is accepted by hosts.allow/hosts.deny?

As I said, "brain damage".  It's bad code that should be rewritten.  To
show you just how bad, it uses an internal function in rcmd.c that is
preceeded by the following comments:

/*
 * XXX
 * Don't make static, used by lpd(8).  We will be able to change the function
 * into static function, when we bump libc major #.
 *
 * Returns 0 if ok, -1 if not ok.
 */
#ifdef notdef   /*_LIBC*/