Subject: Re: Can't boot from IDE
To: Alexander Rigbo <alex@rigbo.se>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2005 19:58:45
On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 03:58:36PM +0200, Alexander Rigbo wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an compaq proliant 800 which can't boot from IDE.
> Can i create a floppy containing a bootloader that gets the kernel from the FS? If so, can anyone tell me where to look for instructions on doing so?

No, because the boot loader uses the BIOS to load the kernel too.
But you can put both the bootloader and kernel to floppy. You'll have to
build a custom kernel to get it small enouth. Then you can just
newfs the floppy, copy the kernel to it and use installboot to make it
bootable.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>