Subject: Re: Can't boot from IDE
To: Alexander Rigbo <alex@rigbo.se>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2005 18:12:45
On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 03:58:36PM +0200, Alexander Rigbo wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have an compaq proliant 800 which can't boot from IDE.

Any idea why?
I'm surprised that the system can't boot from disks the bios knows of.
And if the bios doesn't know about them, then they can't be booted at all.
(all the boot programs use bios calls to read the disk)

> Can i create a floppy containing a bootloader that gets the kernel from
> the FS? If so, can anyone tell me where to look for instructions on doing so?

There are many ways of doing this!

One possiblity is just use the mbr_bootsel code to load the bootstrap
of the hard disk.  You could make that the default with not timeout!

Anything else probably requires intervention during the boot process,
or some bit of code modified to change the default.
It is possibly to put an FFS (or even FAT) filesytem onto a floppy and
load /boot from there.
Or just use the boot/install floppy.

	David

--