Subject: Re: thinkpad x41 / iwi network interface / sleep and X
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2005 12:28:23

"Steven M. Bellovin" <> wrote:
> In message <>, Lubomir Sedlacik writes:
> >
> >> - if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up again, the wireless
> >>   interface is no longer usable.  Resetting it hangs the machine.
> >
> >you should bring the interface down before suspending.
> Yes -- on Thinkpads, I've found it always works best if I have=20
> 'ifconfig ... down' in /etc/apm/suspend (and restart dhclient in=20
> resume, but that's another story)

Ah, thanks for the hint.  That seems to work well.  I didn't know about
/etc/apm/*, and since on my T30 this wasn't necessary I didn't think to
look for it.

> >> - if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up again, the X display is
> >>   shifted down by about half an inch.  This can be corrected by
> >>   restarting X, but that was never necessary on my old T30 lapdog.
> >
> >the same thing happens to me on X40.  it also happens when i close the
> >lid and open it so it's not directly related to suspend/resume rather to
> >the lid movement.  sounds like X issue, i haven't tracked it down.
> >
> What happens if you switch to/from a text console?  What happens if you=
> do that before shutting the lid?  It might pay to put switch to/from in=
> /etc/apm, too.

Hmmm, yes, that seems to work.  It's just unfortunate that this, too,
used to be no problem on the T30.

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)