Subject: Re: thinkpad x41 / iwi network interface / sleep and X
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/28/2005 09:34:47
In message <20051028095339.GO10875@Xtrmntr.org>, Lubomir Sedlacik writes:

>> - if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up again, the wireless
>>   interface is no longer usable.  Resetting it hangs the machine.
>
>you should bring the interface down before suspending.

Yes -- on Thinkpads, I've found it always works best if I have
'ifconfig ... down' in /etc/apm/suspend (and restart dhclient in
resume, but that's another story)

>> - if I put the machine to sleep and wake it up again, the X display is
>>   shifted down by about half an inch.  This can be corrected by
>>   restarting X, but that was never necessary on my old T30 lapdog.
>
>the same thing happens to me on X40.  it also happens when i close the
>lid and open it so it's not directly related to suspend/resume rather to
>the lid movement.  sounds like X issue, i haven't tracked it down.

What happens if you switch to/from a text console?  What happens if you
do that before shutting the lid?  It might pay to put switch to/from in
/etc/apm, too.