Subject: console redirection without building a new kernel
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/14/2005 19:21:58
Hello.

I am just discovering that I am too lazy.  Is there a way to redirect
the operating system console to the second serial port without building
a customized kernel?  In other words, without building a kernel
that includes

options 	CONSDEVNAME="\"com\"",CONADDR=0x2f8,CONSPEED=9600
options 	CONS_OVERRIDE	# Always use above! independent of boot info

in its configuration file.  I know that it works if we type "consdev auto"
on the ">" prompt.  Is there a way to automatically set the console
device to auto before booting?  I prefer using one of the kernels
provided in the distribution if it is possible at all.  As ACPI is
a real challenge on my server now, there is not a strong requirement
to build a customized kernel.

Best regards,
Igor.