Subject: Re: VIA Nehemia+Epia
To: Chuck Swiger <>
From: Aiko Barz <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/14/2005 11:05:46

Chuck Swiger wrote:
 > I haven't heard of any NetBSD developers working on the Padlock/ACE
> encryption stuff, but the hardware works under FreeBSD and
> <> seems to have gotten crypto(4) and IPSEC integration
> working with the VIA Nehemia platform, so there is some BSD-licensed
> code available.

I found out, that OpenBSD supports this device since v3.4. No surprise thou.

> There's also Linux code available at:

Padlock is part of the linux kernel since 2.6.11. I started patching the
kernel around ~2.6.9. But those CPUs only had the RNG extension.

> ...including patches for OpenSSL.  That ought to give you a starting
> point...

I have such a VIA Eden-N now. This machine won't be a vpn gateway, but
every service will be only available over SSL. Since 1.3GHz are not that
big, Padlock should be a real boost.

Let's see if encryption is really done 8 times faster than a P4 3GHz
could do. :)

PS.: Consider this as a feature request. :P

Aiko Barz <>

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -