Subject: Re: recommended 939-board
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, p+netbsd@2005.smokva.net>
From: Dieter <netbsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2005 17:08:19
> Does an ultimate NetBSD-Athlon-939-board exist? I don't care about
> special features - I just want to buy hardware, which gets recognised by
> NetBSD.
>
> Sadly, Tyan just offers 939-boards with the nForce-chipset.. and I saw
> on 'mail-index' that this chipset isn't the real deal for NetBSD.

What isn't "real deal" about the nForce-chipset?  (I must have missed that thread.)

The nforce4 boards were the only ones I could find that supported SATA's NCQ.
I wanted lots of I/O, so I got a Tyan Tomcat K8E 2865 which is 939 with
nforce4 ultra, firewire, onboard video, support for up to 4 GB memory, 4 PCI
slots, 3 PCI-e slots, a 2nd gig-Ethernet, and 2 rs-232 (some boards just have 1).
Supports ECC (not all boards do), rs-232 console (not all boards do).

Your desires for an "ultimate" board may vary.  I wanted NCQ and lots of I/O.

The only "not configured" in NetBSD's dmesg are:

Nvidia nForce4 Memory Controller (miscellaneous memory, revision 0xa3) at pci0 dev 0 function 0 not configured
Nvidia nForce4 SMBus (SMBus serial bus, revision 0xa2) at pci0 dev 1 function 1 not configured
Nvidia product 0x0057 (miscellaneous bridge, revision 0xa3) at pci0 dev 10 function 0 not configured

I haven't tried the onboard Ethernet or audio yet.  The only problem I have
with the board is that the onboard video doesn't do sync-on-green.  It would
probably work fine with a pee-cee type monitor.

I have it triple-booting with FreeBSD (NetBSD doesn't support firewire cameras)
and Linux (for a tuner card).  Xen is supposed to support AMD64 real-soon-now.