Subject: Re: Help - don't understand SATA!
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/09/2005 00:07:27
In article <20051006044707.GP26486@mewburn.net>,
	Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org> writes:
> I used to use Adaptec and 3ware IDE RAID cards in my file server.
> Now I use RAIDframe again (on ATA & SATA disks).

I used RAIDframe and switched to an Intel SRCS14L SATA RAID hostadapter
recently because:
1.) RAIDframe's filesystem write performance is poor.
2.) I got really annoyed about the several hours resync which took place
    after an ungraceful shutdown of my server.
3.) Shutting down down or rebooting my server took several minutes
    because it had to unconfigure the swap partition to avoid a
    RAID resync.

> Except that the 3ware management tools are not up to scratch in NetBSD.

There are no tools available for icp(4) unfortunately. But I don't mind
that very much because replacing a faulty disk will require shutting down
the server anyway. And when I power it up again I can use the BIOS to
to start a rebuild of the RAID and boot NetBSD afterwards.

The NetBSD driver is however able to report RAID problems which is of
course essential.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/