Subject: Help - don't understand SATA!
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2005 22:38:15
--------------enig575A2F05B3833A9337B0CDCD

Hello all,

I'm confused.

   A friend of mine and I are trying to put together a new
NetBSD-system, but we got stuck. Last time I put a completely new system
together, I bought all SCSI. SATA didn't even exist. Needless to say,
times change...

   We decided to go for SATA for this system for economic and
performance reasons. That's about as far as we have got.

   We want to have two raided (mirrored) SATA drives in the system, and
one or two more separate harddrives (that's three to four drives in total).

   Correct me if I'm wrong, but "plain" SATA means one harddrive per
channel? So, a normal motherboard with basic SATA support (two channels)
means two harddrives maximum?

   I read that there's something called a "Port Multiplier" which will
allow 16 disks to be connected to a single channel, but afaik, that's
only valid for SATA2? Can SATA and SATA2 disks be mixed on a SATA2
controller?

Any recommendations? A good motherboard which works well with NetBSD?

   The server will be used for storing a lot of source code and many big
projects (hence the mirroring), so I'd prefer if the raid-stuff works
well with NetBSD.

   We're planning on getting a 1.6GHz Semperon processor, so anything
which works with it is interresting.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson