Subject: Re: Suggestions for B&W laser printer
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/02/2005 14:18:09
I don't think that CUPS would be a particular barrier.  (I've been using
the lpd/lpr printer system that NetBSD ships with, since that tool has been
sufficient for all of my needs.  I'd look at LPRng or perhaps CUPS if I
either felt a burning need to learn about them or needed to administer a
printer that was a long ways away from any computer that is printing to
it.  I gather that LPRng, at least, is better for handling feedback from
remote printers.)

If the printer has a parallel, serial, ethernet, or USB interface that
conforms to standards, you can probably drive it with NetBSD as well as
with Fedora Core or FreeBSD or any other (non-Apple, non-MS) OS.

For all of the printers that I've used, Ghostscript has been the key
issue.  Most aplications can write PostScript, and Ghostscript can
translate from PostScript to many, many output formats (mostly a large
selection of printer languages, some bitmapped & some stroked; but
also some image formats and to display windows).

CUPS/LPRng may help more in figuring out a translation map from
printer product name to best output language(s); with the built
in lpd/lpr, I have to do a little reading and experimentation to
find out what works best.  (For most graphics, my HP2100 is best
with a stroked language; but for some things, its memory gets
exhausted or it just takes a terribly long time, and using a
600dpi raster language makes more sense.)

While I'm on the subject of printers, Ghostscript, and the HP2100,
I've had a problem either with XFig or with Ghostscript, lately.
I'll post in a second message to distinguish the problem...(^&