Subject: Re: [OT] "Of course ..." in your language
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/02/2005 20:09:56
On Sun, 2 Oct 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Magnus Eriksson wrote:

>>   I also submitted more than one, with backtranslations.  It's different in
>> Swedish, depending on whether you mean "This machine is [currently] running
>> NetBSD" or "NetBSD is capable of running on this machine".

> "NetBSD is capable of running on this machine" is an approximation of the
> meaning, but if you can capture the tone of obviousness, you would be much
> closer to the goal.

   Yes, I was just trying to underline the difference in the two
interpretations.  I did a better job on what I posted to the site in
question (I hope).  :-)

   It is pretty hard to translate it well though.  It loses a bit in
snappiness when you try to be precise.

Now for a "discussion-bait" :

   Perhaps it is time for a new slogan?  I don't see that portability is
such a great selling point anymore anyway, especially with increasing
demands on hardware (which is obsoleting older platforms, and the newer
platforms all run Linux anyway).

   Only half kidding.  How long before no 68K platforms longer can run a
current version, for example?

MAgnus