Subject: xen and 3.0, and migrating from 1.6.2
To: netbsd-users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/29/2005 12:21:09
Hello,

I'm about (as soon as it's released) to upgrade a
swag of i386 boxes from 1.6.2 to 3.0, and along the way, I want to
reduce my hardware count, and I figured Xen was the
best way to consolidate a number of boxes onto the one
bit of hardware.

Is there a nice howto anywhere (I've had a look,
but nothing sprang to mind immediately) for taking
a box from being a generic i386 box to a dom0 server?
Is it basically just a case of swap kernels to a xen
domU kernel and rebooting to get a dom0 server up?  Ie:
can I take a working server (in light production),
and make it into a xen box with no significant changes?

Thanks for any pointers to doco I may have missed, or war
stories!

Carl