Subject: Re: Suggested NetBSD version for 486 install
To: Dmitry Ivanov , Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/27/2005 16:06:43
On 9/27/05, David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 08:57:14PM +0300, Dmitry Ivanov wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 September 2005 20:15, Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > > The latest one, 2.0.2
> > >
> > > Use the boot-tiny.fs floppy image.
> >
> > I couldn't boot 1.6 or 2.0 with 8MB last time I checked...
>
> The standard install floppies require 16MB, but I did think that the
> tiny/small ones would run in 8.
>
> Alternatively, put the disk into another sytem and install it there,
> then build a small kernel that only contains the devices you need.

Wasn't there talk at some point about some automated kernel build from
some online machine where someone could enter the hardware they have,
and a very minimal kernel would be built? Seems like it would be ideal
for a situation like this where it's likely that a custom kernel would
be needed from the get-go.

Then again, most people have the ability to build from another machine.

I tend to agree that installing manually onto the disk and then custom
building a kernel is probably the best solution.

Andy