Subject: Re: Raid1 Disk Failure - Diagnosing/Repairing and/or Replacing disk
To: None <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/16/2005 14:15:05
In message <53628.>, yancm@sdf writes:
>I'm relatively new to Raid. Earlier this year I successfully moved my
>home/office NetBSD 2.0-Stable system onto Raid 1 setup on an 300 MHz
>PC/IDE bus. I confirmed everything worked, etc and has been working great.
>2 days ago I got a message that one of the disks failed.
># raidctl -s raid0
>           /dev/wd0a: failed
>           /dev/wd2a: optimal
>No spares.
>/dev/wd0a status is: failed.  Skipping label.
>Component label for /dev/wd2a:
>   Row: 0, Column: 1, Num Rows: 1, Num Columns: 2
>   Version: 2, Serial Number: 2147483647, Mod Counter: 222
>   Clean: No, Status: 0
>   sectPerSU: 128, SUsPerPU: 1, SUsPerRU: 1
>   Queue size: 100, blocksize: 512, numBlocks: 156301312
>   RAID Level: 1
>   Autoconfig: Yes
>   Root partition: Yes
>   Last configured as: raid0
>Parity status: clean
>Reconstruction is 100% complete.
>Parity Re-write is 100% complete.
>Copyback is 100% complete.

I had that, too, under 2.0.  It was a false alarm; there was no
hardware problem.  I did have to repair my disk as far as raid was
concerned, though.

As with you, wd0a was listed as "failed".  I believe I repaired it by

	raidctl -R wd0a raid0

My original posting was on August 8, 2005, if you want to check the

		--Steven M. Bellovin,