Subject: Re: Contributing to NetBSD guide
To: None <segv@netctl.net>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2005 20:39:59
--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy

On 2005.09.13 19:49:23 +0100, segv@netctl.net wrote:
| On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:49:22 -0400
| Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com> wrote:
|=20
| > I think it would be helpful if you have both "how to use postfix" and
| > "setup and use postfix from  pkgsrc" along with the other stuff you
| > mentioned of course.
| >=20
|=20
| Well it depends on how you configure Postfix. It supports many different
| combinations, i.e. you can have a simple setup with a Mbox or Maildir mes=
sage
| store, or you can have different multiple domains with virtual accounts on
| POP3/IMAP servers.
|=20
| So I guess "how to use Postfix" depends on how you set it up. I'm trying =
| document a pretty complex configuration, hence it's taking me a while. Wh=
at I
| would like to see at the end of this is something like this:
|=20
| A description of the required sofware packages (Postfix, SASL, Cyrus-IMAP=
, etc)
| i.e. what they are, what they do and how they work together. How to insta=
ll
| them from pkgsrc and how to setup startup scripts in /etc/rc.d
|=20
| How to setup config files and various subsystems that make up the whole m=
ail
| infrastructure, which can support 1000s of users. The users would be able=
| authenticate from anywhere in the world and retrieve their mail from IMAP=
/POP3
| servers.
|=20
| Another thing I would like to test and document is Postfix integration wi=
th
| LDAP. I think it's quite handy if you have a centralised directory of use=
r's
| mail accounts.
|=20
| So yeah, a lot of interesting stuff to write about. Stay tuned.

I don't know if all of this is ok for the NetBSD guide, but we can, at
least, take advantage of some of the documentation you are going to
produce, I hope. My objective is to have some (not all) documentation
about postfix on the NetBSD guide as it is an application present in
the base system.

		-- Rui Paulo

--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy

--DrWhICOqskFTAXiy--