Subject: Re: Contributing to NetBSD guide
To: None <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2005 19:49:23
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:49:22 -0400
Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think it would be helpful if you have both "how to use postfix" and
> "setup and use postfix from  pkgsrc" along with the other stuff you
> mentioned of course.

Well it depends on how you configure Postfix. It supports many different
combinations, i.e. you can have a simple setup with a Mbox or Maildir message
store, or you can have different multiple domains with virtual accounts on
POP3/IMAP servers.

So I guess "how to use Postfix" depends on how you set it up. I'm trying to
document a pretty complex configuration, hence it's taking me a while. What I
would like to see at the end of this is something like this:

A description of the required sofware packages (Postfix, SASL, Cyrus-IMAP, etc)
i.e. what they are, what they do and how they work together. How to install
them from pkgsrc and how to setup startup scripts in /etc/rc.d

How to setup config files and various subsystems that make up the whole mail
infrastructure, which can support 1000s of users. The users would be able to
authenticate from anywhere in the world and retrieve their mail from IMAP/POP3
servers.

Another thing I would like to test and document is Postfix integration with
LDAP. I think it's quite handy if you have a centralised directory of user's
mail accounts.

So yeah, a lot of interesting stuff to write about. Stay tuned.