Subject: Re: seriousness of this Project
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/10/2005 08:58:10
* loxety <loxety@gmail.com> [2005-09-07 22:32]:
> I think the gentoo project has a good system of documentation. The forums
> really help! I wish netbsd had a forum system like the gentoo folks have.

Many people seem to like the idea of using a browser for more or less
anything; including, but not limited to, reading and writing their mail
or news, editing text, chatting, administration, and, if such a plugin
existed, probably also for brewing coffee.  If people take the time to
learn how mailers, news-readers, editors, IRC clients and coffee
machines work, they'll of course realize that these tools do their job a
lot better than any browser could do, as browsers are made for, well,
browsing hypertext.  For non-technical people, it might make sense only
having to learn how to use a single application for all sorts of tasks,
regardless of how inefficient this might be.  But I'm a bit surprised
that quite a few people who are interested in technical stuff (such as
Gentoo) seem to prefer forums over lists or newsgroups ...

Anyways, BSD related forums such as http://www.bsdforums.org/ exist
already, so I don't see the point in adding another one.

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE