Subject: Re: seriousness of this Project
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Liam J. Foy <liamfoy@sepulcrum.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/08/2005 16:15:56
On 16:51, Thu 08 Sep 05, Peter Postma wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 11:38:00PM +0100, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> >
> > 	From my dealings with the www@ team, I have nothing but good
> > things to say. They do a very good job in handling any problems or
> > updating I wish to be fixed.
> >
> > However, on another note I would really like to see an improvement
> > in the kernel documentation. By that I do not mean internals, I
> > simply mean on how new users configure it. Similar to how FreeBSD do
> > it:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
> >
> > I have seen countless times when the problem users can't get
> > they're kernel to compile is due to an incorrect config. If the
> > options where correctly documented (to a users basic
> > understanding, this excludes basic raw comments in the config
> > files) it would make it much nicer for newcomers to understand.
> >

> Most kernel options are actually documented, see options(4).

Of course, however FreeBSD still do things which are not covered in
options(4). For example, explaining exactly what wi(4) is in basic
terms. They do this for most of the drivers on one very easy to
understand page. We should be aiming to explain the kernel in the
most simplest way possible.

I'd really just like everything to be documented on one page.

--
		- Liam J. Foy
		liamfoy@sepulcrum.org