Subject: Re: mounting non-floppy msdos FSes
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/08/2005 10:03:38
On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:46:19 -0800
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> wrote:
> my wife got me a creative labs muvo N200 for christmas, and it appears
> to be supported by umass:  (when contiguous memory is available, but
> that's another issue)
>
> umass0 at uhub0 port 2 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass0: CREATIVE MuVo N200, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus1 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <CREATIVE, MuVo N200, 0001> disk removable
> sd0: fabricating a geometry
> sd0: 496 MB, 496 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 1015808 sectors
>
> however, mount_msdos refuses to mount the partition and doesn't give any
> useful clues as to what the problem is:
>
> # mount -t msdos /dev/sd0e /mnt
> mount_msdos: /dev/sd0e on /mnt: Invalid argument

I came across this old message in the archives and had the same
problem.  I didn't see a resolution but I was able to get it working.
The problem seems to be on the MuVo, not NetBSD.  How I was able to get
it working was to reformat the MuVo drive with "newfs_msdos
-F16 /dev/rsd0e" and now it works fine.  Obviously you will lose
whatever you currently have on the device.  Luckily, all I had was the
demo song.

NOTE: Use this information at your own risk.  I am not 100% sure about
what this does to the device or your warranty.

I am responding at this late date to get this workaround into the
archives.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/