Subject: Re: sendmail inappropriately tries to externally relay local mail
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2005 21:38:42
Hello Chuck,

On 01.09.05, you wrote:

> This is undesirable on the part of the nameserver you are using.  You
> you are  running BIND locally, consider adding a localhost zone like
> this:

I didn't intend a nameserver. Just a namecache once I can find some time to
set it up and decide whether I want to use bind or dnscache for that.

But if it should be the only way to get it working again I'll probably have
to.

>> In /etc/rc.conf I have: hostname=lahksa.t-link.de
>> The IP is static, I also have an entry in /etc/hosts with it.
>
> OK.  /etc/hosts also has a localhost entry, right?

Sure, default settings.

::1                     localhost localhost.
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.

> Mails in clientmqueue haven't been delivered yet.  You need to run a
> clientmqueue runner or fire one off periodicly from cron.

These mails are the bounces generated from the local sendmail for the mails
that it couldn't send due to the problem. It seems they are stuck there
now, but trying to process them wouldn't help or even make things worse.
sendmail had already reported in maillog it had lost mail, but they're
still there. Maybe the lossage referred to the original mails.

Bye, Chris