Subject: Re: laptop suspend/resume [was: Re: bet laptop for NetBSD?]
To: rudolf <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2005 13:10:06
In message <>, rudolf writes:
>Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> I'm happy with my Toshiba Portege 3440ct.
>> It's very small (12"), and light. No CDROM, but also no ethernet and
>> wavelan. Two pcmcia slots do that. Audio, suspend+resume(!), X (1024x768)
>> work fine. Max RAM is 192MH, the CPU's at 500MHz. External VGA works
>> (important for me).
>> I'm actually looking for a faster replacement of tha machine too, but
>> besides the 12" PowerBooks and iBooks I have only seen the Dell Latitude
>> X300, but I don't know how well NetBSD works on either of them. Anyone got
>> one and can share some ideas?
>> Esp. suspend/resume is a very nice feature to have, and I need external
>> VGA to work.
>is the suspend/resume feature you are using described on following page?
>What is happening with the content of RAM during suspend? Is it
>nessesary to have something in userland event scripts, or 'it just works'?

Yes, that's it, and it mostly just works with APM kernels (but not, as
far as I know, with ACPI kernels, which is a problem).  It uses battery
power to keep RAM happy.

Btw, I'm a little skeptical of some of the advice on that page.  Disk
technology has improved a lot since 1994; I wonder if the measurements
are still valid.

		--Steven M. Bellovin,