Subject: Re: partitioning
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2005 21:33:24
Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> yet another take on it ... :)
>
> here's my disklabel for /dev/raid0g (a 120G RAID mirror):
>
> a:/	about 100M, for the reasons already stated
>
> b:swap	same size as memory - I tend to think that if you're
> 	using more than that then you've got problems that more
> 	swap won't solve ...

You might want to make swap slightly larger than exactly the amount of RAM.
For one thing, if you have a system panic and need to dump, it's best to have
that extra space.  You might also add memory one fine day, and wish you had a
little more.

For a 120GB disk, allocating 2 or 2.5 GB versus 1 GB is not a big deal.

Does NetBSD's brk()/sbrk() perform virtual memory overcommit?  In other words,
does malloc() ever return a pointer to memory, which referenced, can result in
an out-of-swapspace failure condition?

--
-Chuck