Subject: Re: partitioning
To: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
From: Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2005 22:28:22
> > TMPDIR?  What's that?  What programs use it?
>
> Gcc - one of the biggest benefitors from this scheme. Shellscripts that
> use mktemp. perl5. And most other programs that use temporary files.
>
> Most programmers will "just" use something in /tmp, but it's actually
> good behaviour to use TMPDIR. And TMPDIR gets set to /usr/tmp by default,
> so that's what gcc et al will use.
>
> Martijn (Who thinks that swap shouldn't be turned off to begin with,
> unless there's good reason to)

I don't have $TMPDIR set, and /usr/tmp doesn't exist here.  Do things
automatically go to /tmp then, or what?  Should I create a symlink /usr/tmp
-> tmp?  (I have a symlink /var/tmp -> /tmp).

About the swap thing: my workstation has 1 Gb of RAM, so I didn't create a
swap partition.  After your comments I think it would be better to convert
my 1Gb /tmp partition to a swap partition and use an mfs /tmp, is that all
right?

GH