Subject: Re: partitioning
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2005 16:16:30
On Aug 31, 2005, at 1:57 PM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> And even if it's not a machine with a lot of RAM, making it a
>> ramdisk is
>> still an interesting thing to do, as long as you make sure it's
>> backed
>> with swapspace. So increase the swapspace with the amount of
>> diskspace
>> you had in mind for /tmp. As long as we don't have tmpfs, a
>> RAMdisk is a
>> lot faster than a softdep filesystem, even if this means the ramdisk
>> needs to be swapped out.
>
> Just a question: how does this work on machines without swap?

Just fine, so long as you've got enough RAM so that everything fits.
Most users of /tmp don't require much space, just very quick access
to small temporary files.

If you plan to put hundreds of MB into /tmp, and your system working
set is similiarly large, then it behooves you to either have 512+ MB
of RAM, or to set up swap space as needed.

>> Make sure to set TMPDIR to /tmp, instead of the default /usr/tmp
>
> TMPDIR?  What's that?  What programs use it?

It's an environment variable that many programs pay attention to, in
order to decide where to put temporary files.  It defaults to /tmp if
not set, generally.

--
-Chuck