Subject: Re: partitioning
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2005 13:05:52
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 05:38:05PM +0000, Martijn van Buul wrote:
<snip>

>> I also have /usr/local set aside as a separate partition and have set
>> pkgsrc set to install pkgs to there instead of /usr/pkg.
>
> Bah, a FreeBSDism, and one of the less useful ones IMHO. It's so simple:
>
> Everything that I really need to get a broken system working goes to /.
> Everything that the base system ships goes to /usr.
> Everything that all packages install go to /usr/pkg. Or /opt. Or whatever.
> Everything that *I* add manually, locally, outside the package system,
> goes to /usr/local.
>
> Combining the second and the third is a Really Bad Thing, even though Linux
> seems to be doing it en masse. In fact, they throw / in the mix too. But then
> again, there's many things that Linux doesn't do right, according to my
> humble opinion.
>
> Combining the last two trees is a Real Bad Thing, even though FreeBSD seems to
> do it. The two biggest reasons for this are:

<snip>

Yes, it generally is a bad idea, and one I am very aware of, and I
step lightly around.  But, I'd say there are less than a dozen files
in /usr/local on my box that are not under control of pkgsrc.  A
lot of stuff other people put under /usr/local, I put under /home
(/home/httpd/html, /home/mysql/data, etc).  Personal, and admittedly
odd, choice, and I've been doing things this way since before NetBSD ;)

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org