Subject: Re: partitioning
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martijn van Buul <martijnb@atlas.ipv6.stack.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/31/2005 14:45:39
It occurred to me that Thana Jordan wrote in gmane.os.netbsd.general:
> Thank you for your reply about partitioning - ime not really a home user =
> - i would like to know how to partition it like a pro focused on =
> security and stability - thanx

There's no decisive answer to that; it depends on what you want to do
with the system. There are too many variables. I'm far from an expert in
these matters, but here's some general ideas:

0) As a rule of thumb, use twice the amount of physical memory as swap space,
   if you can afford it. Depends on the target of the system; if it's a
   router without a lot of services, you won't need a lot of swap. If it's
   a login server or a webserver running MySQL and "heavy" server side
   applications, you probably will have to increase this number. If you decide
   to make /tmp a ramdisk, make sure to take this into account.
1) How many users will it have? Is it a login server, with public access?
   Make sure to put their homedirs on a seperate partition, so a full
   /home will not wreak havoc on your system. The same applies for /tmp. Also
   consider using quotas.
2) Will it be a mailserver, or will you be running services like mysql?
   Better give /var plenty of space, then; it's the default location of the
   mail queue, as well as the standard MySQL repository.
3) Offload things from the root partition; create seperate /usr and /var
   partitions. This will reduce the chance that your root partition will
   get damaged, which would make recovery a lot more annoying.
4) If you're really paranoid, you could consider having things mounted
   read-only. However, this means that you'll have to make seperate partitions
   for "static" data, like binaries, and "dynamic" data.

If you'd post more information, people might be able to help better.

Good luck,

Martijn.