Subject: Re: build.sh install use
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: A. L. Meyers <spamnjet@yahoo.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/30/2005 10:00:11
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <deca5f$lh$2@sea.gmane.org>, "A. L. Meyers"
> <spamnjet@yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> Thanks, Matthias.  Downgrading to netbsd-2 worked incredibly
>> smoothly.  Very impressing.
>

> Downgrading? Be warned that some applications might stop
> working. If you e.g. build the "coreutils" package on NetBSD
> 2.0D or newer it will not work with NetBSD 2.0_STABLE
>
> From what version did you downgrade to 2.0_STABLE?
>
> Kind regards

Hello Matthias,

In fact I experienced some of the apps problems you mention when
downgrading from 2.99 to 2, e.g. rxvt and mc.  So I decided to
flee ahead to 3, as had encountered no problems with 2.99,
installed because Manuel was kind enough to include a device
driver extending the tl thunderlan to include my ethernet card.

Meanwhile after upgrading to 3, doing "pkg_chk -u -v" caused a lot
of packages with their dependencies to reinstall.

Still have one aggravating problem, but this one pre-dates the
down- and then upgrade.  graphics/imlib and its dependencies, e.g.
window maker, does not install as it claims not to find the jpeg
libraries, although jpeg is installed.  Have posted this to the
bugs circuit.

Best regards,

lux