Subject: Hardware question revisited
To: None <>
From: Jan Danielsson <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/29/2005 09:41:07

Hello all,

   I asked about hardware recommendations a while back, and people
generally said "Don't buy MSI, go for Asus or Tyan". Since I myself have
very good experiences with Asus, I went looking for Asus-boards instead,
and I found this one that I'm considering buying:

Asus A8V-E Deluxe S939 VIA K8T890 FSB2000 MT/s Dualch DDR400 PCIExpress

   I also decided to ditch SCSI for this system, and go for two SATA
disks (WD Raptor, 10krpm, 8MB cache, and (most importantly) 5 year
warranty). The motherboard/disk don't seem to support NCQ, but I think
I'll just live without it this time. I'd like to point out that I'm not
planning on using the SATARAID features; I'm going to dedicate one disk
for /home, and the other one for "the rest" (or something like that).

   What I'd like to know is, yet again, what I can expect to work, and
not to work with this motherboard. Is the network chip supported by
NetBSD? The Realtek ALC850 audio? USB, Firewire? (I know USB is
supported, but are there any chipset issues I should be aware of?)

   Also, I would like to know what my options are with regards to
graphics. I want something cheap, that works well.

Opinions are very welcome.

   Obviously, I'm willing to work on some of the drivers myself, if
needed, but I would prefer getting basic networking from day one.

Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson
Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (MingW32)