Subject: Re: NetBSD on PowerBook G4
To: None <kh.p@wanadoo.fr>
From: Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Wall=E9n?= <johan.wallen+lists@hut.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/25/2005 10:39:10
kh.p@wanadoo.fr writes:

> I'm going to buy a PowerBook G4, but someone told me performances are
> terrible with NetBSD. Especially because NetBSD doesn't know how to change
> the cpu speed, so you have a 700mhz for a 1.4ghz, etc.
>
> Did anyone tried with one already ? Is it really "that bad" ?

For more exact answers, try port-macppc instead.

I have been running -current on a 1.5 GHz 15 inch PowerBook G4 (from
May this year) without bigger problems.  I have not tried 2.0 or the
upcoming 3.0.  For my normal use, it is fast enought at half speed.
But it depends a lot on what kinds of applications you want to run.

There will probably be issues with the graphics card, and there
might be issues with the trackpad.  So it might take some effort and
tweaking to get X working.

-- Johan