Subject: Re: testing RC's
To: None <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2005 18:24:35
On Aug 23, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> Keep on updating from the branch. This way, when a new RC is cut,
>> you'll
>> automatically get it :)
>
> Yes, I understand that.  But then what are the tags for?

When you tag a version, CVS remembers the exact version of all of the
various files, so that you can check those out again in a completely
reproducible fashion.  This probably doesn't matter much to a normal
user, but is quite helpful to someone creating an "official" .iso
image for a CD-ROM, and also matters to the security officer/team.

There's some documentation under www.netbsd.org/releng, but the
releng page at www.freebsd.org or this link:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/index.html

...has more complete information.