Subject: ntp & ipf?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/23/2005 23:53:13
--------------enigDA796CD0DC3EF3F57F60AEA4

Hello all,

I'm trying to get ntp working through a firewall.

I have this:

# local interface flows freely
pass in quick on lo0 all
pass out quick on lo0 all

# Allow NTP
pass in quick proto udp from any to any port=ntp
pass out quick proto udp from any to any port=ntp

   ..in my ipf.conf. However, I can not verify that it works because
ntpq won't run properly:

# ntpq -n
ntpq> pe
ntpq: write to localhost failed: Permission denied

I even tried:
pass in quick on lo0 all
pass out quick on lo0 all
pass in quick on rtk0 all
pass out quick on rtk0 all

   ..to the top of my ipf.conf, and it still fails with the same
message. I guess it's something trivial that I have missed, but I can't
see it.

NetBSD 2.0.2/i386. ipfilter is blocking packets by default.

Thankful for any tips & pointers.

--
Kind Regards,
Jan Danielsson