Subject: ftp.netbsd.org requires dash?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Courtney R. Spencer <cspencer@mindspring.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/22/2005 13:56:47
I thought that using a "-" for the first character of
the password when logging in anonymously was only a
necessity if you want to suppress the login message.

I was manually trying to use download-vulnerability-list
from audit-packages since my vulnerability list was
outdated when I stumbled upon this.

Was this always a requirement (I can't remember having to
earlier this year) or is there a problem with reading
.message?

<<< ftp login attempt using password cspencer@

Trying 204.152.190.13...
Connected to ftp.netbsd.org.
220 ftp.NetBSD.org FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20040809) ready.
Name (ftp.netbsd.org:cspencer): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
Password:
230-
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.
ftp: Login failed.

<<< ftp login attempt using password -cspencer@

220 ftp.NetBSD.org FTP server (NetBSD-ftpd 20040809) ready.
Name (ftp.netbsd.org:cspencer): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, type your name as password.
Password:
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> bye
221-
    Data traffic for this session was 0 bytes in 0 files.
    Total traffic for this session was 473 bytes in 0 transfers.
221 Thank you for using the FTP service on ftp.NetBSD.org.

--
Courtney R. Spencer