Subject: Re: I2C via parallel port?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/22/2005 01:01:02
On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 10:42:43AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> I think Aaron Grier has a hacked lpt driver that he implements BDM
> on.  It should be relatively trivial to munge that to do I2C.

I ported a pre-existing driver which ran under Linux, FreeBSD, and
OpenBSD to NetBSD.  AFAIK it's still i386 only since it bangs the
parallel port directly.  enough to get the job done but not elegant or
clean in any sort of sense.

> In reality, we really need a generic LPT driver so you can do big-
> banging from userspace.  I long for such a thing so I can program my
> AVR's via SPI. Such a thing needs to be integrated into NetBSD and
> export a userland API.
>
> FreeBSD has such a thing if I'm not mistaken.  The scenery may have
> changed though; I haven't looked at this in a couple years.

as Nathan already mentioned, ppi at ppbus is probably the way to go.

the Linux BDM driver has actually moved in this direction, (Linux
apparently has a ppi equivalent these days,) and I'm sure I'll
eventually get around to porting BDM to ppi if a FreeBSD user doesn't
beat me to it.

this topic was previously raised by Jesse Off on tech-embed, with the
eventual possibility of isa* at ppbus* for faster machines.

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt