Subject: Re: burning DVDs?
To: Mark Weinem <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/21/2005 20:41:25
In message <>, Mark Weinem writes:
>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> I'm confused -- is the media speed readable by the drive?
>Yes, magic word is "ADIP" (Address in pre-groove). But why are you

I was confused because I had no idea there was such a capability.
>> My son is having problems (on a Windows machine) with some disks that
>> *should* be compatible, but Windows refuses to touch them.
>What kind of problems? Burning blank media, or reading the burned media?
>And what do you mean with "should be compatible", does he really use the
>producsts suggested by the DVD-drive's vendor? Apart from the disks it
>could be a problem with the  drive or the burning software.
We have a stack of blank 8x Maxell DVD-Rs.  The burner is rated at 4x,
so it looked to me like it should work -- the disks are rated for
higher speed than the drive.  When we put a blank disk in to burn,
Windows doesn't recognize it as a valid disk in the drive.  Other disks
have worked just fine.

		--Steven M. Bellovin,