Subject: Re: Hardware question
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2005 21:02:37
In article <430624E7.1080709@gmail.com>,
	Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm thinking about buying this:
>
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=639
>
>    ..to run a dedicated NetBSD system on. What can I expect to work, and
> what I can expect won't work?

No, you cannot. Boards with ATI chipsets don't even work with Linux
which has move driver than *BSD.

> I'm planning on buying a SCSI-controller for it.

Boards with ATI chipsets are infamous for the horrible performance of the
southbridge which would also affect a SCSI hostadapter in a PCI slot.

BTW:
I would recomment buying an SATA hardware RAID hostadapter instead.
I've got an Intel SRCS14L (drives 4 SATA disks, RAID 0, 1, 5 and
1+0 in hardware). It works nicely and is very fast. And even if you
buy 10.000 RPM Raptor SATA disks the whole package will still be
cheaper than a SCSI solution. But there also 7200 RPM SATA disk
which are suited for RAID usage (e.g. from Western Digital) which
offer more capacity for a lower price.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/