Subject: Re: burning DVDs?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2005 12:14:41
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> >i use mkisofs (sysutils/cdrecord) to prepare the images and growisofs
> >(sysutils/dvd+rw-tools) to burn them.  i have bad experience with
> >dvdrecord toasting my media for no apparent reason.
> >
> >my dvd+rw drive is attached via USB 2.0.
> >

> Tnx.  I should have mentioned that I'm primarily interested in
> DVD-R, though I see that that package will sometimes handle such.

I've just started doing this myself. I'm using a NEC
DVD+-R+-RW+DL+xyzzy... drive and DVD-R media; mkisofs plus growisofs
seems to do the job. Speed isn't great, but probably isn't the tool's
fault; I only achieved an average burning speed of about "2.5x"
(~28Mbps) speed while burning, with the drive attached over USB2, so
each burn took about 20 minutes.

The growisofs program claims to be able to be able to do without the
intermediate generation of the iso file, but in my case the files I
wanted to burn were on another USB2-attached disk, so I didn't want to
load up that bus with traffic in both directions.

        - Nathan