Subject: Re: console questions: bios vs serial
To: Andrew L. Gould <>
From: Rui Paulo <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/17/2005 22:51:54

On 2005.08.17 16:41:01 +0000, Andrew L. Gould wrote:
| During installation of NetBSD 2.0.2, I opted to install the bios
| console.  I've noticed, though, that the "F keys" will work in mc on the
| virtual terminals (Alt-F2, Alt-F3, etc) but not on the console at Alt-
| F1.  I am using standalone-tcsh as my shell.

I think this is a problem with mc. My guess is that mc doesn't understand
vt100 emulation, but only vt220. You can try to change that line on=20
/etc/ttys, but I don't know if it will work.

Of course, this only makes sense if you have vt100 set on /etc/ttys.

| My questions are:
| 1. Is there any advantage to having the console on Alt-F1?

Well, where else do you want to set it ? I don't think it is possible
to change it to virtual terminal 2, 3, etc.

| 2. How can I send the console back to the serial port and have the
| first virtual terminal on Alt-F1 once the system is already installed?

On i386 or amd64, to change the console to the serial port:
cp /usr/mdec/boot /boot
installboot -v -o console=3Dcom0 /dev/rwd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_XXXXX
		 (or com1, com2, com3, com1kbd, ...)

		-- Rui Paulo

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)