Subject: Re: hot spares for RAID 1 sets?
To: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2005 09:32:38
On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:22:28AM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
|>I have a host with three 120G internal disks and have a RAID 1 mirror
|>set up which autoconfigures at boot to be the root device.
|
|Set up a three-way mirror.  Having a hot spare sitting around isn't as
|useful.

erm, I thought mirrors with more than two disks wasn't supported in
RAIDFrame. Excerpt from raidctl manpage:

  In this case, /dev/sd20e and /dev/sd21e are the two components of the
  mirror set.  While no hot spares have been specified in this configura-
  tion, they easily could be, just as they were specified in the RAID 5
  case above.  Note as well that RAID 1 sets are currently limited to only
  2 components.  At present, n-way mirroring is not possible.

... unless this has changed in -current (I'm using 2.0.2)

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert