Subject: Obtaining a host name?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/14/2005 17:02:44
--------------enigABEF1F0A864B7FC6FD237B88

Hell all,

   My universities student network (broadband at home) requires us to
login before we get access to Internet. To automate the login procedure,
I have written a python script which logs in during boot. I wanted the
script to validate its dhcp-assigned ip against that which is printed in
the login page. (Don't ask.. I guess you can say it was for the hell of
it). I'm kind of glad I did, because I ran into something which made me
curious.

This works on my Windows laptop, and on a friends Linux box:

>>> import socket
>>> print socket.gethostbyaddr(socket.gethostname())

It will print my ip address - the one I was given assigned by the dhcp.

However, when I run it on my NetBSD-system, it says:

socket.gaierror: (7, 'No address associated with hostname')

   Now, when I connect to some servers with my Windows system, the
server will reply "Hello REGULUS3.student.uu.se", or something like
that. I haven't set that "REGULUS"-variable anywhere, so I assume that
it is sent to me by the dhcp server(?). Now, my NetBSD system doesn't
seem to do that, and what's more: I have set my own hostname in rc.conf.

   I assume that is why it fails on NetBSD, gethostname() isn't
returning a "proper" name?

   Is there any way to fix so that gethostname() will return that dhcp
assigned name in NetBSD?

Thankful for any pointers.

--
Kind Regards,