Subject: Re: Compaq drive sleds for ML370
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Francisco Guerreiro <fguerreiro@cpcis.pt>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/12/2005 10:26:16
Scott R. Burns wrote:

>I have a ML370 G3 running NetBSD/i386 2.0.2. I have a few Compaq U320 drives
>in the unit. I am wondering if it is possible for me to just by raw "drive
>sleds" from somewhere and put my own drives in rather than paying Compaq
>prices for the units ?
>
>Does anyone know about this.
>
>Scott..
>
>Scott R. Burns
>NETCON Technologies Inc.
>Suite 135 - 4474 Blakie Road
>London, Ontario, Canada
>N6L 1G7
>Voice: +1.519.652.0401
>Fax: +1.519.652.9275

Hi,
I was troubleshooting an ML370 G3 yesterday, it's funny to see a
question about it today.
anyway, the Compaq/HP cages are tricky with 'foreign' drives, it MIGHT
work but there's
a huge probability it might give you alot of problems. the thing is that
the cage's firmware doesn't
really like 'foreign' drives and you have another problem too, drives
that fit the slot (but that can
be workaround). you can sure try, but i would advise to when using
branded machines, to buy
the corresponding spare parts. if you don't want to be binded by
vendors, buy 'white-label'
machines.

best regards,
Francisco Guerreiro