Subject: Re: NetBSD 3.0 ..when??
To: Karim Forsthofer <kforstho@email2me.net>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/05/2005 23:40:04
Well, in order:

1) netbsd-users probably *is* the correct mailing list.

2) If you "knew" that it wasn't the correct list, though, one wonders
why you didn't choose a list that you thought was better.  (^&  (Sorry,
I just couldn't resist that.  You left yourself wide open for it...)

3) You don't want to hear "When it's ready".  Okay.  Well, what other
answers can anyone give?  We can be silent, because I doubt that anyone
knows.  Or we could pipe up a random number.  (But you can use rand()
and C date formatting functions for that, if you like.  (^&)  Those
will avoid the "when it's ready" answer, at some small cost of their
own.  (^&

Seriously, once in a while when this question is asked, someone
can shed some new light on it---usually light that would probably
have been shed anyway about that time---but almost always it's a
fruitless question, and will not accelerate the release by its
asking.  If you want to see something close to what 3.0 will be
(and to get some idea of how close it is to being ready---AND maybe
speed it along and improve it), you can start following the betas
and release candidates.

If you run a beta or release candidate, it won't be any worse for
you than if releng took that same version and branded it 3.0.  It
would be worse for NetBSD, however, if there are good technical
reasons to hold off and they rush out a release anyway to meet an
artificial release date.

Just my opinoin.  I fully understand your feelings about wantig to see
3.0 out.  Believe me.  But unless you are able and willing to help
the devlopers in some way, I'd recommend just sitting tight.  It's
coming.  (^&