Subject: Re: NetBSD mount freebsd disk
To: None <>
From: Eric Buchanan <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/05/2005 15:38:42

I had no data loss accessing a FreeBSD partition from NetBSD 2.0.2. In fact=
, I=20
just tried it on a lark, not thinking it would work, and it worked just fin=

Basically translate a FreeBSD partition name to a NetBSD name (ad0s1a would=
probably be wd0a, but there can be differences between the two OSes,=20
sometimes) and use trial and error. You could mount -ro also, the first tim=
I don't think I ever mounted the other way successfully (NetBSD from=20

Good luck,
Eric Buchanan

El Vie 05 Ago 2005 03:14 PM, Sean Moore escribi=F3:
> On 8/5/05, Geert Hendrickx <> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 08:19:08PM +0100, Sean Moore wrote:
> > > I have a FreeBSD 4.11 machine with three harddrives. Am now looking to
> > > put NetBSD 2.0.2 onto it. What I wish to know is whether I will have
> > > any troubles mounting my other two harddrives which hold all my data.=
> > > How would I go about mounting them when NetBSD boots up, like FreeBSD
> > > is currently doing? Is it the same process/commands as setting them up
> > > in FreeBSD ?
> I'll just install NetBSD over my FreeBSD 4.11 install. I'll then do
> what Eric mentioned. I hope I don't hit any problems. I can't afford
> to lose 140GB of data/work! It is backed up, but you know! =3D)
> Eric, will the different style of partition names matter?
> Thanks,
> --
> Sean
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (FreeBSD)