Subject: Re: problem getting BIND 9.3.1 to start
To: None <>
From: Adrian Portelli <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/03/2005 20:55:37
Robert Cates wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just installed BIND 9.3.1 from pkgsrc, but cannot get it to start.
> I've done the following but it just won't run:

A few things first, this is what I have in my files:

named_flags="-t /var/chroot/named -u named"

Now, if your using chroot everything is relative to the chroot
directory.  In the case of bind9 it's /var/chroot/named.  So all your
configuration file should go in there e.g. your named.conf should be in
/var/chroot/named/etc and you shoudn't put your zone files under
/etc/namedb but under /var/chroot/named/etc/namedb instead.

Now restart syslogd to get it to notice that your running named9 in a
chroot environment.  You should just then be able to start named9 and
watch /var/log/messages.