Subject: Re: problem getting BIND 9.3.1 to start
To: None <robert@kormar.net>
From: Adrian Portelli <adrianp@stindustries.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/03/2005 20:55:37
Robert Cates wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just installed BIND 9.3.1 from pkgsrc, but cannot get it to start.
> I've done the following but it just won't run:

Ok,

A few things first, this is what I have in my files:

/etc/rc.conf
named9=YES
named_flags="-t /var/chroot/named -u named"
named_chrootdir="/var/chroot/named"

/etc/rc.conf.d/named9
pidfile="/var/chroot/named/var/run/named.pid"

Now, if your using chroot everything is relative to the chroot
directory.  In the case of bind9 it's /var/chroot/named.  So all your
configuration file should go in there e.g. your named.conf should be in
/var/chroot/named/etc and you shoudn't put your zone files under
/etc/namedb but under /var/chroot/named/etc/namedb instead.

Now restart syslogd to get it to notice that your running named9 in a
chroot environment.  You should just then be able to start named9 and
watch /var/log/messages.

HTH,

adrian.