Subject: Unix Metadata on top of an MS-DOS Filesystem
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/02/2005 12:03:29
I want to store my ssh keys, gpg keyring, and various other files
on a USB flash device. I'd like to have it look just like FFS (with
appropriate permissions, etc.) when mounted on a BSD box, but I'd
also like to be able to access these files from a Windows box in an
emergency.

Is there anything for MS-DOS systems along the lines of Rock Ridge for
ISO 9660 filesystems that would let me use an MS-DOS filesystem under
Unix as if it were a Unix filesystem with the usual metadata, links,
etc., but actually store everything on an MS-DOS filesystem?

Failing that, I'm open to other suggestions. My only other idea at
the moment is to divide the USB flash memory into two partitions and
regularly copy the Unix stuff to the DOS partition.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org
      Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA