Subject: Re: pkgsrc and update
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/26/2005 20:55:19
On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:39:11PM +0200, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 01:37:59AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 09:12:03AM +0300, Jukka Marin wrote:
> > > This should be rare if you're using "stable" pkgsrc versions (like
> > > 2005Q2), right?
> >
> > If there's a serious security issue with a package that I use, I'm not
> > going to wait up to 3 months to get it fixed.  (^&
>
> please stop spreading FUD, all security fixes are pulled up to the

Please stop accusing me needlessly.  It is not "Fear, Uncertainty,
and Doubt".  The term "FUD" implies an intent for you have absolutely
no grounds to accuse me.  "FUD" is a destructive marketing strategy.

When pkgsrc first began quarterly freezes, I was sure that a pkgsrc
developer had stated that unlike NetBSD OS releases/branches, there
was insufficient manpower to maintain anything but HEAD, and that
the branches/tags were just reference points for "more stable" points
in pkgsrc's life.

Maybe that developer didn't have a clue.  Maybe I misremember.  Maybe
pkgsrc has changed in the time since quarterly branches began and
I missed the announced change.  In any case, it is not "spreading
FUD" as you like to say; it is at most, a misunderstanding.

However, thanks for clarifying that pkgsrc maintains the quarterly
branches.  Perhaps after the next branch, I'll follow the querty
branch rather than the HEAD.